Villa San Liberale
We love staying here
SUITES & WELLNESS
The complex consists of the main body, with a facade facing west, to which an extension to the north is grafted in its time connected with the rustic wing demolished during the twentieth century. To the east there is an addition from 1932, characterized by a large iron window. Isolated to the west is the stables building, currently used as the caretaker’s house, while to the east, open onto the avenue, is the oratory.
The villa is an eighteenth-century construction, which was subsequently enlarged and remodeled especially on the outside.
Access takes place directly from Viale di Cart through an exedra opening with the gate set back in the surrounding wall. The front garden is divided into two large flower beds. In the back, the grassy space is bordered by the oratory.
The rather simple facade has no tympanum.
A stone staircase, flanked by two symmetrical openings communicating with the ground floor, leads to the main entrance, preceded by a small terrace. The simple portal, flanked by two high windows and further on by two slightly projecting terraces, culminates with a simplified stone entablature that supports the balcony of the upper opening. Slightly projecting string courses emphasize the horizontal course of the facade, crowned at the top by the gorge of the cornice under which the ventilation ovals of the attic open. The two monumental fireplaces are interesting.
The large cellar probably remains from the previous factory.
Planimetrically, the residence is distinguished by the large central hall, or entrance hall, characterized by two rows of two columns arranged almost against the north and south walls. They are equipped with Ionic capitals, and the plaster of the stems is treated with imitation marble; it is a completely original solution that clearly qualifies the interior of this environment, expanding its spatiality. The oratory, with a rectangular hall covered with two crosses and culminating in the apsidal basin with a segmented vault, was renovated by the Bianco family in 1845, and by the Di Suni family in 1942.
The interior preserves a fresco depicting the “Madonna with Child” supporting an ear made by Giovanni De Min. In one corner you can see the sacred building with the background of the city of Feltre and Mount Tomatico.
During the restoration promoted by Francesca Vellaio in 1746, the characteristic stucco decoration was added that decorates the walls and the vaulted lunettes. On the walls there are other stucco decorations with their phytomorphic motifs alternating with compositions of characteristic eighteenth-century landscapes with trees and fake ruins, with the typical colored background. One of these depicts a villa preceded by a geometric Italian garden flanked by hedges trimmed into arches, in such a way as to allow passage, and surmounted by pendentives. On the outside, the curious little bell tower with a carved stone belfry supporting a singular sheet metal cusp with a pagoda profile is noteworthy.